Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Berry Picking and Homemade Jam

Over the last few summers I have gone berry picking out on Sauvie Island at the Sauvie Island Farms and have frozen the berries for later. These berries usually go toward baking or smoothies. Although last year many of them got thrown out. Last year I went with an infant of 6 months and no carrier which made it difficult to pick berries. This year I had a blast with our friends the Olivers and Siena who is now 19 months old. She loves berries and ate a ton of blueberries off the bush and had a blast running around yelling "berry". This is an activity I will do a few more times this summer. The positives included, fresh produce for a minimal price, a happy child especially from the tractor ride, exercise for the child, a reason to try something new to save the produce from spoiling.
So after collecting almost 14lbs of berries (blue and raspberries)between both families I decided I would try to make freezer jam. Let me just say I can't believe I didn't do this earlier. The process was simple and the jam tastes amazing. I actually am planning to go back and get more berries with my mom for some more jam and a little baking. To try making a little jam to store for the winter or give as a gift this site was helpful Canning and Preserving




No comments:

Post a Comment